Tuesday, June 20, 2017

My answer to exceptions

1. Requirement n. 1 at the beginning of the course was that you read the syllabus and affirm your commitment to following the rules.

I took your word at face value. You said you were willing to do it, now I expect you to do it.

2. I repeated the instructions in a video, available anytime you are unsure what to do.  Did you forget about the video? Should I remind you about the video on a daily basis?

I just checked and noticed that the video has been watched by a total of 8 viewers.

3. I post the format / formalities instructions in Task 1 in every compito.  Do you read them to remind yourself, or should I add another paragraph at the top, reminding you to read the reminder in task 1?
How many levels of reminders are required?

Re suggestions:

I should excuse late work. OK, but it's your responsibility to provide proof; it is not my job to remind you that you have to submit proof.

"Labeling": the first infraction should be forgiven. Which would mean that in case someone makes a mistake, I would have to go back and check every single compito to see if this is the first, second or third infraction.

Format (missing name/date on document): the first infraction should be forgiven. (See above)

Aside from the specific rebuttal to each issue:

1) You gave you word you would the work the way it should be done. Your word is your word.

2) You have (I hope) the bandwidth and sufficient power of concentration to follow basic instructions.

3) This is not the LIGHT version of a regular course.

4) In five weeks we are covering the material that is normally covered in a 14 semester week, 3 hours per week in class + homework.

5) Ask yourself what amount of time you are investing in this course, both to learn the material and to manage the formality aspects. Then compare to the requirements of a regular semester.

Last consideration. Comments about the Father Sarducci comedy lament the fact that college is too often about irrelevant information destined to be forgotten.

Many insist that there should be CRITICAL THINKING.

The number one rule of CRITICAL THINKING is: "Am I doing this right?"

You have to step outside your own dimension and see yourself from a different perspective. That's where critical thinking begins.

Leave a comment stating that you read this and that you are aware of its content.

16 comments:

  1. I have read and am aware of the content in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the post and am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read this post and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read the post and I understand it's contents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read and am aware of the content in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read it and I am aware.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read this blog post and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read this blog post and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read this blog post and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read this blog and am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read this blog and am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read this blog and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read this blog and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read this blog and I am aware of its content.

    ReplyDelete